UT Southwestern Medical Center
Full Job Description
Why UT Southwestern?
With over 75 years of excellence in Dallas-Fort Worth, Texas, UT Southwestern is committed to excellence, innovation, teamwork, and compassion. As a world-renowned medical and research center, we strive to provide the best possible care, resources, and benefits for our valued patients and employees. With over 20,000 employees, we are committed to continuing our growth with the best professionals in the healthcare industry. We invite you to be a part of the UT Southwestern team where you’ll discover teamwork, professionalism, and consistent opportunities for growth.
The Computational Biologist will participate in research projects on biomedical data (NGS, spatial molecular profiling, and digital pathology). Apply advanced statistical and machine learning methods. Develop informatics analysis pipelines and tools for cancer research. Experience in the analysis of NGS data or other molecular profiling data is required.
- Manage research laboratory computer hardware and software programming and maintenance. Ensure existing systems meet the continuing needs of the lab and/or recommend and test new systems as necessary.
- Perform complex data analysis related to specialized research methodologies and results as assigned by the PI.
- Develop and/or modify software to support new and ongoing research projects.
- Resolve hardware, software, and network issues in support of the lab.
- Develop and maintain complex databases to support new and ongoing research projects.
- Train laboratory staff in the use of pertinent research systems.
- May specialize in bioinformatics, software development, network administration, or hardware/software maintenance.
- Perform other duties as assigned.
Experience and Education
- Master’s degree in Computer Science or a related field of biological science.
- Bachelor’s degree in Computer Science or a related field of biological science, and two (2) years related research experience in bioinformatics and computational biology.
To learn more about the benefits UT Southwestern offers visit https://www.utsouthwestern.edu/employees/hr-resources/
For COVID-19 vaccine information, applicants should visit https://www.utsouthwestern.edu/covid-19/work-on-campus/
This position is security-sensitive and subject to Texas Education Code 51.215, which authorizes UT Southwestern to obtain criminal history record information. UT Southwestern Medical Center is committed to an educational and working environment that provides equal opportunity to all members of the University community. In accordance with federal and state law, the University prohibits unlawful discrimination, including harassment, on the basis of: race; color; religion; national origin; sex; including sexual harassment; age; disability; genetic information; citizenship status; and protected veteran status. In addition, it is UT Southwestern policy to prohibit discrimination on the basis of sexual orientation, gender identity, or gender expression.
2021-2022 Benefits Summary
- PPO and ACO Options
- 100% Coverage for Preventative Health No Co-Pay
- Tobacco-Free Incentives
- Generous Prescription Drug Plan
- 3 Options for Dental Coverage
- 2 Options for Vision Coverage
- Abundance of Wellness and Employee Assistance Programs
(Eligibility varies by employment status)
- The Teacher Retirement System of Texas is a defined benefit plan with 5-year vesting
- Employee Contribution Max 7.7% of salary
- Employer Contribution Match up to 7.5% of salary
- Optional Retirement Program (ORP) defined contribution plan with 1 year, 1 day vesting
- Employee Contribution Max of 6.65% of salary
- Employer Contribution Match of 8.5% of salary
- Optional Tax-Sheltered Annuity
- Optional Deferred Compensation Plan
- 15 Paid Holidays, Eligible Day 1
- 8 Hours/Month Accrued Vacation
- 8 Hours/Month Accrued Sick Leave
- On-Site Day Care
- Employee Discount Program
- Tuition Reimbursement Program
- Long-Term Disability Coverage
- Short-Term Disability Coverage
- Voluntary Group Life Coverage
- Accidental Death & Dismemberment Coverage
Curiosity Pursued With Rigor
Explore the full range of opportunities we offer within our research areas and labs.
If you want a larger canvas for exploration and discovery, look no further. We have more than 500 labs on campus. Here are just a few of the research investigations you’ll find underway at UT Southwestern Medical Center:
- Use of AI to identify cancer cells
- How Alzheimer’s proteins create dysfunction in fat cells
- A global initiative to map human brain cells
- Use of cryo-electron microscopy to study the atomic structure of key molecules
Work here, and you’ll help us create and conduct translational bench-to-bedside research that quickly moves basic discoveries into treatments that directly benefit patients. Here’s an example: We’ve found that small artificial molecules called peptoids show promise as both diagnostic tools and treatments for various types of cancer. Peptoids can bind to cancerous cells more tightly than normal cells. So our researchers are looking at ways to combine peptoids with anti-cancer drugs to target cancer cells more specifically.
At UT Southwestern, you can be part of our next breakthrough.
Opportunities for Laboratory & Medical Technologists
As a progressive, innovation-driven medical center, UT Southwestern relies heavily on our lab techs, medical techs, histotechnologists, and cytotechnologists to play a key role in the diagnosis and care planning of patients.
Our broad spectrum of services will present you with opportunities to work across a range of dynamic lab settings. You’ll have abundant tools, training, and support to facilitate your success and professional growth.
For each member of this diverse and collaborative team, we provide excellent benefits, including PTO and pension and retirement plans. When you consider Dallas’ relatively low cost of living and high quality of life, UT Southwestern emerges as your best option for a fulfilling career.
Bringing the Future into Focus
There are many ways to contribute here. As we continue to explore new solutions that will save lives and enhance quality of life for millions, we’re committed to providing rigorous scientific training in both basic and clinical research to scholars across the Medical Center and community. You can take advantage or help support a number of robust programs, such as:
- Disease-Oriented Clinical Scholars
- Endowed Scholars
- Medical Scientist Training Program (MSTP)
- Physician Scientist Training Program (PSTP)
- Quantitative and Physical Sciences Summer Undergraduate Research
Fellowship Program (QP-SURF)
- Science Teacher Access to Resources at Southwestern (STARS)
- Endowed Scholars
- Summer Undergraduate Research Fellowship Program (SURF)
- UT Dallas Green Fellows
Supporting a Culture of Clinical Trials
Our research teams help plan, conduct, fund, administer, and report on clinical trials across the broad spectrum of health conditions and diseases. More than 1,000 trials are currently underway, including these areas of medicine:
- 268 in Cancer(STARS)
- 118 in Neurology
- 79 in Children’s Health
- 69 in Digestive Systems & Liver Disease
- 65 in Heart and Vascular
- 64 in Lung Disease & Asthma
- 51 in Blood Disorders
Posted 30+ days ago