JOB LOCATION: the Netherlands (Home-based)
JOB TITLE: Pathology Director
REPORTS TO: VP, Medical R&D
This is a multi-faceted role intended to provide scientific and medical leadership and support for histopathology services to both our commercial clinical trials projects and academic research projects and operations. The Pathology Director will be the primary pathology contact to support imaging operations, business development, medical research and development and precision medicine throughout Alimentiv. The Pathology Director will serve as an interface between these operational and business teams and senior medical leadership. The Pathology Director will build and maintain relationships within the Alimentiv network of histopathology key opinion leaders (KOLs) and central readers, as well as represent the organization to sponsors upon request. Furthermore, the Pathology Director will interface between Alimentiv and AcelaBio, working collaboratively with all staff and stakeholders to ensure high quality provision of histopathology services within clinical trials in accordance with corporate and industry best practices that meet all regulatory requirements and guidelines
ROLE & RESPONSIBILITIES:
Histology Support for Clinical Trials (Commercial and Academic)
- Working in collaboration with histopathology KOLS and consultants, the Chief Medical Officer and the VP Medical R&D, provide scientific leadership to the central readers group (contracted pathologists) for histopathology imaging charters, training materials, on-boarding, annual assessments.
- Provide support to Imaging R&D Associates for all operational questions related to histopathology and operational support for studies in new therapeutic indications.
- Provide support to imaging operations teams for expert or quality review of histopathology images, QC report review and general histopathology questions.
- Provide support to Imaging R&D Director for questions related to digital pathology viewing platform (Lucidity).
- Work collaboratively with Medical Laboratory Director, histopathology supervisor and other staff at AcelaBio to ensure scientific integrity of histopathology services delivered across companies.
Business Development & Sponsor Support
- Participate in activities related to strategic development of activities in new therapeutic areas.
- Participate in both commercial and R&D business development activities including presentations to prospective clients and professional meetings.
- Contribute with medical support of new business opportunities bids, including protocol review for feasibility, providing guidance around sample collection, processing and assessments, project risk evaluation and mitigation strategies, governance discussions with client companies as required.
Research & Development
- Participate in the development of clinical research (e.g. protocol design, implementation, and interpretation).
- Oversee and deliver internal training to Alimentiv operational teams on specific diseases, drug targets, pharmacology, protocol requirements etc., as needed to support execution of client studies with relation to histopathology.
- Assist with the development of investigator training and meeting support materials.
- Participate in the review and development of scoring algorithms for central reading.
- Participate in the preparation and delivery of study specific training at scheduled central reader training meeting.
- Participate in the development of internal quantitative image analysis algorithms (including techniques such as artificial intelligence and machine learning), thereby leveraging the pathology KOL network and external partners, as relevant.
- Support the Chief Medical Officer with identification and relationship management of pathology KOLs in the therapeutic areas in which Alimentiv operates.
- Attend and present at scientific conferences.
Mentoring & Employee Engagement
- Serve as a motivator and mentor to members of the of the Imaging Operations and Medical R&D team by serving as the internal pathology subject matter expert.
The ideal candidate will possess a minimum of a post-graduate degree (Doctor of Veterinary Science, Pathology, or Clinical Pathology is preferred) and 7-9 years of related experience. Previous experience with GCLP, digital pathology, image analysis, AI and deep learning software is an asset. The successful candidate will possess highly refined written and verbal communication and presentation skills, enabling effective interactions with team members within Alimentiv and AcelaBio, client company personnel and prospective sponsors.
Travel: Up to 10%
- Accommodations for job applicants with disabilities are available