Uniklinik RWTH Aachen
The following position is available at the Institute of Pathology, RWTH Aachen:
Scientist (m/f/d) in the field of Artificial Intelligence in Digital Pathology
The full position (100%) is initially for 1 year in the pay group 13 TV-L, with a direct possibility of further employment for another 3-4 years in frame of our recent ERC Consolidator Grant. Part-time work in home office is possible.
We are a young, dynamic and interdisciplinary team directly embedded in the Institute of Pathology at the RWTH Aachen University. Being directly embedded and working in the clinical pathology diagnostics allows direct education and a deep dive into real world applications of this medical domain. We provide excellent supervision and many years of experience in AI in digital pathology. We offer a high-end infrastructure for digital pathology including high performance GPU servers (e.g. DGX A100) and DL workstations, as well as very large, well annotated, unique and already available datasets and sufficient storage capacity. We are internationally well connected and offer a broad spectrum of methods. In terms of AI-assisted medical image processing, we serve numerous application areas including classification, regression, and segmentation tasks as well as more sophisticated fields such as network explainability, multimodal data fusion, survival prediction, and domain transfer with the final goal of improving medical diagnostics and bringing AI closer to the clinic.
- Development, optimization, application and clinical validation of deep learning algorithms in Digital Pathology
- Advance our understanding in Pathology through explainability and interpretability of deep learning models as well as large-scale feature analysis
- Evaluation, presentation, and interpretation of results
- Independent literature research
- University degree in computer science, engineering, physics, medical informatics, bioinformatics, biology, biochemistry, medicine or related with above-average grades
- Experience in image analysis and machine learning with focus on the application of neural networks in image processing systems, ideally in digital pathology
- Advanced programming skills in Python, MATLAB and popular deep learning libraries such as PyTorch and/or TensorFlow
- Publications/basic knowledge in the field of digital pathology as well as histology and histopathology are helpful but not required
- Experience in compilation of statistics
- Team-oriented working and communication skills
- Excellent knowledge of both written and oral English
- Enthusiasm in applied research on clinical questions and above average commitment
Why should you choose us?
- We offer 300 professions under one roof – more variety is not possible
- We offer performance-based remuneration in accordance with the provisions of TV-L (EG13), including attractive public service benefits
- In addition to a wide range of further education and training opportunities, we offer you a wide range of health promotion options as well as the extensive university sports program
- Monthly employee discounts through our corporate benefits program to save on private shopping
- Flexible working hours so that you can better combine work and private life, because your work-life balance is important to us
- Attractive conditions for local public transport or discounted employee parking so that you have a relaxed commute
- A company kindergarden so that your children are always close by
This advertisement is adressed to all genders. The RWTH Aachen University Hospital promotes equal opportunities and diversity. Applications from women are expressly encouraged and will be given priority in accordance with the LGG. Employment below the weekly working hours specified above is generally possible. Severely disabled people will be given priority if they are equally qualified.
You should only use our digital application portal at www.karriere.ukaachen.de for your application. There you have the option of securing your documents in the electronic application folder to prevent unauthorized access. Applications that reach us by email to: email@example.com (this transmission path is generally not sufficiently protected) will be transferred to the application portal. The documents sent will be disposed of immediately after being transferred to the portal in accordance with data protection regulations. After the prescribed retention period has expired, the data in the portal will also be deleted. Please note that we can only consider your application if you agree to transfer your data to the application portal.
Please send your complete application (CV, certificates, list of publications, presentation of research interests, at least two letters of reference) electronically with reference number
The application period for the advertised position GB-P-31874 ends on 31.01.2022.
University Hospital RWTH Aachen, Institute of Pathology, Prof. Dr. med. Peter Boor, Ph.D., Pauwelstraße 20, 52074 Aachen.
If you have any further queries, please do not hesitate to contact us: Prof. Dr. med. Peter Boor, Ph.D., phone: +49 241 80-85227 or e-mail: firstname.lastname@example.org
Further information about the group can be also found here: www.labooratory.ukaachen.de.